Shut up Get out

Friday, June 23, 2006

MET WITH THE SURGEON yesterday for my pre-0p appointment. He was telling me how awful it would be when I woke up from the surgery with a big linebacker football pad sized wad of gauze on my shoulder that would be connected to an automatice icing machine and in a sling, with a lidocaine pump attached for several days post surgery. And how much pain I would be in. Now this just begs the question--why in the hell would I elect to have this surgery if it's that bad?

Seriously, the only reason I am putting myself through this bullshit is so that I can play ball next summer. This summer has been a washout because I am not enjoying the game at all. It hurts every time I throw and now batting is starting to get a little irritating.

Then he tells me that I will be on an automatic motion machine for up to 6 hours a day. This machine passively moves your shoulder so that it does not freeze up. That's all my mom, the nazi, will have to hear--6 HOURS A DAY. And by gawd, she will make sure that 6 hours are done. You see, I remember piano lessons and the old 1/2 hour/day practice sessions at which she would set a timer. It's just amazing that I have grown up as normal as I am. I'll wait for you to stop laughing.

The best part was when he told me that after 3 days, I would be pulling the lidocaine drip out myself. Now, I normally don't get grossed out by things like that, but I did. Maybe because it will be ME that I am pulling it out of. ewwwwww.

I'm just about 3 weeks out and during that time, I will need to practice using my left hand for EVERYTHING. That ought to be fun. And just a warning, if you are sitting next to me in Florida at dinner--you will have to cut my meat for me. I promise I won't act too smug.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home