Shut up Get out

Friday, August 25, 2006

I AM SO EXCITED!! Tomorrow morning I will be on a plane, bound for Orlando, where I will get to see one of my best friends, Ashley. She is one of the funniest people I know and she thinks I am funny too.

This week I was cracking myself up--alot. Everything I did made me laugh, no matter how ridiculous it was.

How did I get this goofy?

Last night, my 90 year old dad was reminiscing about when I was little and all the things I did growing up--learning to ski shortly after learning to walk, riding horses, fishing, learning to shoot a rifle at 6 (I am a crack shot now--with both pistol and rifle), helping to build two houses and he made the comment-"You had a pretty good life growing up, didn't you?" I have the feeling that my older brother generated that comment. You see, he is a bitter son-of-a-bitch and I don't mean his mother is horrible (we have the same dad--different moms). He is mean and vindictive and thinks everyone but him is a dumbass. He and I evidently had "different" fathers, but I believe your life experience is what you make it. Yes, some people had horrible childhoods, but it's what you do with the experience that shapes you.

My dad said his regret was that he didn't get a high school education and I told him--Dad, that wasn't an option for you. You had to help your family and you're a pretty smart guy. I had the opportunity for an education. I got my undergrad paid for by his GI money. My graduate degree, my employer paid for and my doctorate was on me. But the opportunity presented itself. I told him that I would never have seen me at this point when I graduated from high school. At the conference, I will be recognized (along with several others) by the Asst. Secretary of Labor for my mentoring and outreach activities. People at the national OSHA office, know me by name and face. I am on a first name basis with the Regional Administrator in my region. Never would I have seen this when I was attending K-12 in the same building with less than 500 other kids.

Anyway--back to the conference--not only it is alot of fun, but I have the opportunity to network and see friends that I only see a couple of times a year. Plus one of my best friends will be there to share it with me. And will finally understand what it is I do for a living.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home