Shut up Get out

Monday, December 19, 2005

I'M NOT CRAZY--JUST HARDY!

Yesterday I started the winter racewalking season with a race time temperature of 8 degrees. That's right, 8 effin' degrees. The race actually benefits a primary school in Africa, so the entry fee goes to a good cause. A couple other racewalking buddies showed up and one asked me, "Are we just crazy to do this?" I said, "I am not crazy--I'm just hardy." See, I was raised in the mountains of Colorado and I spent many a day on the ski slopes in sub-zero weather. This doesn't even count the sub, sub-zero wind chill temps that I have skiied in. The coldest day I remember was a -39 windchill temp. That, my friend, is COLD. And yes, I skiied a lot of the day, but believe me--no skin was showing.

Yesterday, the race course was like an ice skating rink and I spent a lot of time trying not to fall. Slowed me down substantially. People asked me why I was out there at all and my only reply is that I need to get off the couch in the winter in order to prepare for softball and the second reason is--I like to racewalk. I'm out in the fresh air (albeit COLD), I'm getting some exercise and I get to have a few words of prayer with God as I'm walking--mostly, please don't let me die until the finish line. You see--I have exercise induced asthma and the cold weather really exacerbates it.

Long story short--I took second in the women's racewalk division--should have had first, but the skating rink wreaked havoc with my time. Didn't notice the cold at all, until I finished and was standing there sweating and the sweat started freezing. Then I was cold. Next race--New Year's Day. Something I promised to do and really--is there a better way to start a New Year then to do something you love to do? There is one other way I would like to start the new year, but it looks like it may have to wait until 2007.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home